Happy New Year from all of us here at Camp High Rocks!
December 31, 2010 by Don Gentle
It’s hard to believe that 2010 is already over. It seems like staff orientation just started last week! I can’t stop thinking about warm summer days and cool nights, those nervously excited opening days of each session, morning horseback rides, afternoons at the lake, cool climbing trips, Sunday Night campfires, and (of course) projectiles! What is it about riflery and archery that excites an adolescent boy so much! It was pretty obvious to our dads at the Father/Son weekend this year; I think they were having more fun than their sons. Summers at High Rocks are constantly on my mind…
Life on the Rocks ended with quite a bang this year with temperatures in the single digits, plenty of snowfall, and even eight inches of snow on Christmas Day! We have so many things to be thankful for this past year:
- All of our representative families that help us spread the joy of Camp High Rocks to so many.
- Our first one- week session, ever! What a success!
- Jane and Sumner Williams. Where would we be without the vision of our founders?
- Hank and Townsend Birdsong. The vision continues…
- The camp dogs… I am always surprised how much Crescent, Tsali, and River add to the campers’ experience.
- Danny… He does it all! He was even out on Christmas Day plowing the eight inches of snow off the camp road!
- Most of all, we would like to thank all of our campers, staff, parents, and alumni that make High Rocks such a wonderful place. Without you High Rocks would be a big empty space.
Be sure to drop us a line and let us know what you felt was the coolest thing about your 2010 Camp High Rocks experience!
Camp High Rocks is looking forward to another great year! As we continue to make High Rocks better for 2011, here are a few things we are working on:
- Incredible new and returning staff to make all of our activities great and our cabins full of joy!
- We are currently renovating our kitchen, which will be finished this spring. It will be complete with a new walk-in cooler and freezer; perfect for that home-made ranch and the best chicken fingers on the planet!
- New bathrooms in Chalet!
- Central air in the Gray House this summer, including the staff lounge! We just put in a new geo thermal system that uses the constant lake temperature for heating and cooling with incredible efficiency.
Check out some of our recent pictures:
So here is to 2011 and all the challenges, triumphs, and wonders of summer camp at High Rocks! We look forward to seeing all of you on opening day!!!