I Get It!
August 6, 2013 by Hank
Pictures from Tuesday, August 6th
These guys took full advantage of the beautiful weather today. It really takes that second week to figure it all out. They were busting it up all around camp. You could almost hear them say “I get it now!” The pictures will show you how much fun, learning, and excitement we had at camp! There was no better place to be then at High Rocks today!
We are getting to the point in the session that the campers have gone beyond the basic skills in many of the activities and are venturing out of camp a bit. Due to the short duration of this session the number of trips we take away from camp is limited, not like the longer sessions that will sometimes have six or seven trips out of camp on any given day. Today there is a climbing trip in Pisgah National Forest, a river trip on the French Broad River, an overnight backpacking trip, and a mountain biking trip visiting DuPont State Forest. DuPont is known for it’s mountain biking trails, waterfalls and scenic vistas. We are lucky to share a border with the 10,400 acre forest which was the setting for the movies “Hunger Games” and “Last of the Mohicans”.
Lakeside & Connestee cabins had their turn on the ropes course today. My son, Mark, is one of the facilitators on the ropes course. He was describing to me the smile on one camper’s face as he went off the zip wire after quite a bit of consternation. Imagine stepping off of a 42′ platform & zipping down 450′ of aircraft cable. That’s a pretty big step for a nine-year old! It’s lots of fun, of course, but taking that first step is a big challenge.
Tonight’s after-dinner activities (youngest to oldest):
- “Questions that don’t need answering” (Hillside & Connestee)- Playing a game on the soccer field
- “Green” (Lakeside & Foxhollow)- Playing a group game on the activity field
- “Purple Rainbow Unicorns” (Flattop & Chalet)- Heading to “Sliding Rock”, followed by Dolly’s Ice Cream, aka “Chill Night”
- “Bottom Feeders” (Windswept & Outpost)- Playing dodgeball in the gym
- “Red Robin” (Lookout & Holiday)- going off the waterslide
- “Channel 4 News Team” (Halfway & Pinnacle)- Canoe fill-ups
Enjoy tonight’s pictures!