November 22, 2016 by Don Gentle
It is not often that we find time during the summer to put into words all of the things that make us feel thankful. The fast pace of camp seems to never slow down. A few weeks after camp closes, we make a point to reflect on the summer and all that went into the making of the High Rocks experience. We are thankful that we are able to share in the journey with our campers as they encounter new challenges, make new friends, play outside, and reinvent themselves each summer. We have the distinct pleasure of working with children in an environment that provides incredible opportunities for play, exploration, and growth. We get to see boys in their happy place and we are counting down the days until we get to play outside again next summer!
Camp High Rocks is THANKFUL for…
1. We are thankful for the firefighters and volunteers currently fighting the fires across Western North Carolina. Camp High Rocks is safe and away from fires at the moment along with all other camps in the area. While we hope for rain, we are thankful for all those that are helping to keep High Rocks and our surrounding area safe!
2. We are thankful for camp food and our wonderful kitchen staff. Our staff create magic in the kitchen, from the creamy mashed potatoes to hand made pizza. As the temperatures get colder, we are dreaming of summer lunches filled with warm soup and grilled cheese.
3. We are thankful for the beautiful color that fall leaves bring! North Carolina in the fall can’t be beat! We are still seeing leaves fall and the colors change around Camp High Rocks. Barley loves to jump into all of the piles we rake up!
4. We are thankful for our campers and parents! We would not be here without our wonderful camp families! Camp High Rocks comes alive each summer when you arrive. Thank you for bringing the fun, craziness, and excitement!
5. We are thankful for all of our amazing staff! Our program has become stronger from the top notch crew we have assembled here at camp. They are counselors, instructors, friends, mentors, and professionals. Our activities have reached new levels of individualized instruction and our facilities have never looked better! These staff continue to make each summer the best summer yet!
Do Kids Need Camp?
For the parent in all of us. Here is a great article you may have missed titled Do Kids Need Camp? –A Path to Independence, Identity, and Initiative.The article aims to help parents with their decision about camp. http://richmondfamilymagazine.com/article/why-camp/
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! We hope it is filled with friends, family, and lots of turkey!
Visit our website for details about a camp experience at High Rocks this summer.