Welcoming in the Weekend

This was quite a way to wrap up the first “work week” at High Rocks. Camp was treated to a pristine summer day; from cool breeze blowing in the morning, to a hot midday under a clear blue sky, and now happy noises from the waterfront as guys cool off on the rope swing, water slide, and in canoes full of water.

New and returning campers alike look comfortable and at home as they go about their individual schedules. Activities are going full speed, the dining hall is now a center of noisy efficiency, and the free periods are full of groups of boys spending time with each other playing disc golf, cards, lounging in the shade, or an impromptu game of hide-and-seek through main camp. Appetites are also increasing as the consistent level of activity is creating quite a monster at meal time. Today’s lunch consisted of  homemade coleslaw, hush puppies, potato and green salads, and a small mountain of BBQ that was slow cooked all night long. To top it off there was a gooey, chocolatey, brownie-based concoction that immediately sent everyone into a rest hour tailspin. 

The perfection of the day was not lost on in-camp activities. Sailors took advantage of the steady wind to whip around the lake. You know its a good day when not a single sailor “falls” out of their boat to bob in the water. Horseback riders were also appreciative of the cooling breeze and the horses put a little more pep their step around the ring. Crafts was out and about in camp. They posted up on the waterfront, in the shade with a breeze to engage in watercolor painting with the custom-made scenery of the canoes, sailboats, swimmers, and a mountain backdrop. 

Hiking was spotted moving all around main camp and beyond as the guys made their way through an orienteering course with newly learned compass skills. More than one was seen hastily backtracking a ways before consulting his compass and deciding on a better course. Shooting sports were pushed a little more than usual with the breeze affecting their aim, though I heard no complaints from the guys waiting their turn to shoot again. 

The evening saw another round of cabin overnights head out into the woods with swaying backpacks, heavy waterbottles, and crazy creeks bumping their legs with each step. We had the oldest campers, the Aides, heading in one direction armed with tents and tarps, while the youngest boys in Hillside marched to Still Oaks, a campsite with a shelter and wonderfully fun creek nearby. As I type this I am sure that pita pizzas have been consumed as fast as they came out of the pan, campfires have been built up, and s’mores are being delicately handled in anticipation of games of Mafia and stories to finish off the evening. One trick employed by our staff is to take all camper watches before heading out which results in a useful time relativity. As our young Connestee boys said this morning, “We played Mafia till way late, they took our watches, but it was definitely after midnight, for sure!”. Counselors nodded in solidarity before later confirming that the last camper had crashed out by about 9:45.

I look forward to the rather grubby, but happy, return of our cabins out tonight. And I hope you enjoy the pictures from today before returning tomorrow night for another dose.

Until then,

Woody Noland

Today’s Pictures

Comments are closed.