COVID-19 Update: May 5th

A Letter from Our Directors:

Dear High Rocks Families,

Greetings from High Rocks.  After much thoughtful consideration, and given the uncertainty of current conditions, we have come to the tough decision that we will need to postpone the opening of camp this summer.  Camp will not be opening on June 7th as originally planned.  The health and well-being of our camp community continues to be our highest priority. 

You look forward to camp all year long and so do we, which is why we are still actively planning and preparing for this summer.  We also realize there is a chance that camp may not be able to operate this summer.

We are waiting for further guidelines from the CDC, the American Camp Association, our State and Local health officials, and will hopefully have this information around May 15th.  We want to give every chance for camp to open and do not want to make a premature decision. 

We ask you to hold tight with us until we have more information around May 15th.  If you need to make a decision before then, we certainly understand.  We have included our updated refund policy for this summer.

Refund Policy (updated May 2020):

Option 1:  Roll over of full tuition to 2021.  You will receive the 2020 tuition rates, guaranteed same session acceptance and will be considered enrolled and paid in full.

Option 2:  Rollover of deposit and February payment to 2021.  You will receive guaranteed same session enrollment and 2021 rates.

Option 3:  Full refund of tuition paid.  Please know that you will need to reapply for 2021 and there may be waiting lists.

Thank you for your continued support and understanding!  As soon as we have more information to share, we will be back in touch. 

Don and Zoob Gentle

Questions You May Have:

Below you will find answers to questions from our most recent announcement and previous announcements.

When will you know more information?

As you know, the situation around COVID-19 is constantly changing. We are gathering more information that will be important in making further decisions about this summer.  We are waiting for further guidelines from the CDC, American Camp Association, and our state and local health officials and will hopefully have this around May 15th. We will certainly be in touch as soon as we have more information to share.

What do I need to do right now?

Hold tight! We ask you to hang in there with us for a couple of more weeks when we will have more information.

How are you making a decision about camp?

Our commitment to the health and wellbeing of our community remains our top priority. The American Camp Association(ACA), which we are apart of, is working with the CDC to develop COVID-19 guidance for camps. The CDC’s guidance will help state public officials and High Rocks with our summer decisions. We are communicating with and working with the ACA, CDC, and local health officials.

These are tough decisions. We want to give every chance for camp to open and do not want to make a premature decision.  We are gathering more information that will be important in making further decisions about this summer.  We will certainly be in touch as soon as we have more information to share.

What are you doing about the Four-Week, Mini, and Two Week Sessions?

We are waiting to make a decision about our summer and the other sessions. Read here about how we are making decisions here. We hope to have more information after May 15th.

If I am a June Camper, can I switch to a later session?

For now, we ask you to “hold tight.” We will give you further details regarding the possibility of moving sessions after May 15th.

Will there be shorter sessions?

As we look for the many options for this summer, this is in consideration. We hope to have more information soon.

What does this mean for refunds?

If we are open and you need to cancel, we are adapting our refund policy.

We hope your son will be able to join us once we have an adjusted schedule. Please consider waiting to hear the new dates before canceling. We updated our refund policy on May 5, 2020, to reflect the summer changes.

If your son’s session is canceled, High Rocks will offer the option of rolling your tuition to 2021 or a full refund.

If your camper’s session is canceled and you are able to roll your tuition to 2021 and have paid in full, you would be considered paid in full for the next summer.  You would avoid a cost of living increase for 2021 tuition.  You would also receive priority registration for that same session. If you instead chose to change to a different session, you would still pay 2020 rates.  If you need to cancel for the 2021 season, you would receive a full refund including the deposit until February 1st, 2021.

Option 1:  Rollover of full tuition to 2021.  You will receive the 2020 tuition rates, guaranteed same session acceptance and will be considered enrolled and paid in full.

Option 2:  Rollover of deposit and February payment to 2021.  You will receive guaranteed same session enrollment and 2021 rates.

Option 3:  Full refund of tuition paid.  Please know that you will need to reapply for 2021 and there may be waiting lists.

What about forms and payments still due?

Once we have determined our summer plans, we will let you know when all forms (including the physical form) and payments will be due.

Is there still a possibility that sessions could be cancelled?

Yes, that is a possibility. We will follow the guidelines for summer camps by our local and state governments, the CDC, and other health experts. We are holding out hope that new guidance, testing, and mitigation techniques will allow for us to hold camp. Know that we are still exploring different ideas and plans for camp this summer.

Will there be additional health and safety measures in place if Camp opens this summer?

Yes, we know camp will look different this summer to keep our campers, staff, and community safe and healthy. We are developing new guidelines along with our local health officials, the American Camping Association, and the CDC.

How do I tell my camper his session is postponed?

When they’re uncomfortable or upset, kids need empathy more than anything else. Showing them that you feel for them and providing assurance that you will help them through this challenging time will often be all they need to get through times of uncertainty.

  • For elementary school-aged children, be the director: You need a plan of what to say and how to say it. Anticipate what questions your children might have and what responses you might give.
  • For middle school-aged children, be the tour guide: You need to lead but can also change course, depending on your child’s response and tolerance for the conversation.
  • For high school-aged children, be the torch-passer: More is less with this age, so share the information and then pass the torch to your children to let them lead the conversation while you listen. (Thank you to THE URJ BRIUT TEAM for this resource. Source)

Is there any way my child can experience camp right now, from home?

Yes! We have hosted more than four virtual events for campers. From ice cream making to lava lamp creating, we have had a blast. Over 400 campers have joined us in these events! Reach out to Darby at office@highrocks.com to hear about the next zoom event.

What is happening with Father-Son Weekends?

We have made the decision to reschedule our Father/Son Weekends in May.  We have created a new Father/ Son Weekend that will be August 21st – 23rd, 2020. Click here for further details.

If you were previously registered, you have three options available: 

  • Option 1: We can register you in our new Father/Son Weekend August 21st – 23rd
  • Option 2: We can apply your payment as a credit to a future session or future Father/Son Weekend. 
  • Option 3: We can send you a refund check.

Please email office@highrocks.com with more questions.

What if I have more questions?

The High Rocks team is here to help answer your questions please reach out to us by email or phone call our office. You can call us at (828)885-2153 or email us at office@highrocks.com.

Next: Activities