COVID-19 Updates

Please check back here for updates on COVID-19 and Camp High Rocks. As we put forward information to our camp families and community we will be posting here as well.

Through this unique and novel time, the safety of our campers, families, and staff remains our highest priority. 

Update June 3, 2020

Camp High Rocks is offering a chance to be outside and enjoy the wonder of camp in a way that maintains physical distancing!  We are excited to announce our first ever Family Retreats.  Bring the whole family and enjoy 1,000 acres of private land, cooler temperatures, and a 11-acre private lake. Take a summer vacation to your kids’ favorite place in the world!  Activities will be open to families for participation at their own speed and on their own schedule. 

While this is not summer camp and will look different, we invite you to join us as we create a space for our camp families and alumni to gather, socially distanced, at camp this summer.

Click here for more details.

Update May 18, 2020

Please visit this page for our latest update on the cancellation of our Summer 2020 Camp Season.

Update May 5, 2020

Please visit this page for our full May 5th postponement update.

Greetings from High Rocks.  After much thoughtful consideration, and given the uncertainty of current conditions, we have come to the tough decision that we will need to postpone the opening of camp this summer.  Camp will not be opening on June 7th as originally planned.  The health and well-being of our camp community continues to be our highest priority. 

You look forward to camp all year long and so do we, which is why we are still actively planning and preparing for this summer.  We also realize there is a chance that camp may not be able to operate this summer.

We are waiting for further guidelines from the CDC, the American Camp Association, our State and Local health officials, and will hopefully have this information around May 15th.  We want to give every chance for camp to open and do not want to make a premature decision. 

We ask you to hold tight with us until we have more information around May 15th.  If you need to make a decision before then, we certainly understand.

Update April 23, 2020

Greetings from High Rocks. We hope that you and your family are doing well.  Our recent interactions with campers and staff through our virtual camp programming has certainly helped lift our spirits.  High Rocks will be offering more opportunities in the coming weeks to stay connected with camp so be on the lookout in your inbox. 

We are planners by nature and find this extended period of waiting to be hard.  We understand that you too would like to know what your summer plans will look like.  While we remain optimistic, we are also developing plans in the event we need to adapt.

Our commitment to the health and wellbeing of our community remains our top priority.  It is our plan to provide you with information as soon as we have it and will continue to approach the summer on a session by session basis.  The American Camp Association is working directly with the CDC to develop COVID-19 guidance for camps. The CDC’s guidance will help state public health authorities and High Rocks with our summer decisions. These guidelines will also lay out best practices in health and community management, as well as, camp operations. For now, the CDC has advised camps to give themselves as much time as possible before making final decisions about the summer. 

Our plan is to notify families at least four weeks before their session is to begin if any changes are needed.  This allows us to make decisions with the most information possible and gives you time to adjust with family plans.  We are also extending the cancelation date (previously May 1st) until we have more information on what the summer will look like. This would allow you to receive a refund of tuition paid minus $1,000 deposit if you decide to cancel for any reason. The health crisis has underlined our need for flexibility and patience.  We appreciate all the kind words and thoughts that you have been sending. 

We look forward to the warm days of summer and adventures with kids!

Sincerely,

Don and Zoob Gentle

Update April 8th, 2020

Greetings from High Rocks!  We hope that this email finds you well and that you have been able find some balance to life during these complicated times.  We have been enjoying the warm spring days and finding comfort in the relaxed pace and extra time with our girls.  Taking things one week at a time has become our focus.  With this in mind, we wanted to update you on our Father/Son Weekends this spring. 

In order to keep the health and wellbeing of our campers, parents, and staff at the forefront of all our decisions we have made the decision to reschedule our Father/Son Weekends in May.  We have created a new Father/ Son Weekend that will be August 21st – 23rd, 2020.

There are three options available: 

  • Option 1: We can register you in our new Father/Son Weekend August 21st – 23rd
  • Option 2: We can apply your payment as a credit to a future session or future Father/Son Weekend. 
  • Option 3: We can send you a refund check.

Please email or call us to let us know which option works best for your family.  As we look forward to the summer, we remain optimistic that there will not need to be any further changes to our schedule.  Knowing we have a little over 8 weeks until our first session helps keep our spirits high and our efforts focused on making 2020 our best season yet!

We value our relationships with our families more than we can ever express.  Summer camp will be needed more than ever this year.  We hope to see you soon!

Sincerely,
Don and Zoob Gentle

Update March 30th, 2020

Dear Camp Families,

While we are all learning to adapt to the new normal of life with social distancing, we are most impressed with the flexibility and creativity that has blossomed.  In our house there have been several firsts including a video flute solo, home hairstyling, hikes to new locations, and some serious puzzle mania to name just a few.  While we are still optimistic with 10 weeks before we open camp, it is hard to know how COVID-19 will impact camp this summer.  We want to offer you some peace of mind during these very challenging times.

Will there be camp this summer?

Our current hope is that your session will run this summer as scheduled.  In the event we are not allowed to open, or we decide to cancel, we will make those decisions one session at a time as we progress into the summer. We will make sure to give parents time to make arrangements in the event of any changes.

What happens if the session my camper is enrolled in is canceled?

High Rocks will offer the option of rolling your tuition to 2021 or a full refund.  As a small business, you can imagine the option to have tuition roll over to 2021 would be a huge help to manage our expenses until the next summer.  The potential loss of an entire season of income would certainly put a strain on camp.  Many of our expenses like payroll, healthcare and basic operational costs are fixed and extend throughout the year.  In addition to these expenses we continue to make substantial investments in our program and facility each year.  If it is an option to roll your tuition to next year, camp will be in a better position to weather this storm.

If your camper’s session is canceled and you are able to roll your tuition to 2021 and have paid in full by April 15th, you would be considered paid in full for the next summer.  You would avoid a cost of living increase for 2021 tuition.  You would also receive priority registration for that same session. If you instead chose to change to a different session, you would still pay 2020 rates.  If you need to cancel for the 2021 season, you would receive a full refund including the deposit until February 1st, 2021.

What happens if we need to cancel and camp is able to open?

If you are unable to attend camp this summer and need to cancel, we are adapting our refund policy for this season by moving the cancellation date to May 1st (originally February 1st).  What this means is that we will offer a refund less the deposit until May 1st.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those on the front lines, those that are ill, and everyone feeling uncertain at this time.  We are so thankful for all of our camp families and have enjoyed the words of encouragement you have been sending.   We are certainly all in this together.  Be on the lookout for updates, reminders about camp forms, and ways to help prepare for camp.  We are working every day to prepare for a camp season that we will all need more than ever this summer! 

Sincerely,

Don and Zoob Gentle

Update March 20th, 2020

Greetings from High Rocks!  Zoob and I hope that you and your family are doing well and settling into the new routines of life with social distancing.  Our girls have been learning remotely this week and their ability to accept change has been honestly inspiring.  We are finding time to get some fresh air, playing lots of games, and have enjoyed several movie nights.  While we can hardly believe how quickly life has changed, we are focusing on being grateful and doing the little bit we can. 

In an effort to take a little weight off of our families during this unprecedented time, we have moved the final payment deadline to April 15th.   We hope this small gesture will provide the space to focus on our families and that which is most important; everyone’s health and wellbeing. This is a fluid situation and we will continue to be in touch over the coming weeks.

As we look forward to the summer, we remain optimistic that there will not need to be any changes to our schedule.  Knowing we have a little over 11 weeks until we open camp helps keep our spirits high and our efforts focused on making 2020 our best summer yet!

We value our relationships with our families more than we can ever express.  We assure you we will do our best to meet your expectations of your investment and your son’s camp experience. 

We know that camp will be needed more than ever this summer and look forward to welcoming you on opening day!

Sincerely,

Don and Zoob Gentle


Update March 9th, 2020

As we gear up for another amazing summer, we want to let you know that we are closely monitoring trusted resources regarding COVID-19.  As always, our first concern is the health and safety of our High Rocks Community.   We are and will continue to be in communication with our local health authorities and monitor state and federal recommendations along with Center for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) updates.  We are reviewing our current practices we have in place and will update them accordingly as we learn more.  Camp is still several months away, and we are planning on another great summer.

We have received the question about trip insurance and wanted to pass along what we have learned.  There are companies offering trip insurance and you would need to sign up for these plans before your last payment is made.  If this is something you are interested in, please select a “cancel for any reason” plan because of the known outbreak.

The well-being of our High Rocks Community will remain our top priority.  We are very thankful for the trust our camp families put in us each summer.   Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns about camp.  We are looking forward to another wonderful summer at camp!


Resources

Coronavirus Info from Public Health Experts

Resources from Camp High Rocks

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time if you have any questions or if we can provide additional information. Please email Don Gentle at don@highrocks.com.

Next: Camp High Rocks Announcement: May 18, 2020